These incredibly easy cheese and bacon turnovers make a quick and delicious snack. 4 ingredients and 25 minutes are all you need to whip up a tray of these tasty turnovers for brunch, lunch, or an easy dinner.
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy: 25 minutes only and a few easy steps are required to make these delicious turnovers.
- Few ingredients: 4 staple ingredients are all you need for this simple recipe.
- Meal prep friendly: You can make these turnovers ahead and store them in the fridge in an airtight container until you want to bake them.
Check out my seed cracker, sourdough pretzel bites, cheese rolls, and meatball recipes for more savoury snack options.
- Puff pastry: I love cooking from scratch but ready-rolled puff pastry is such a great time saver and therefore a key ingredient for this quick and easy recipe. Shapes and sizes tend to vary, my recipe is based on two 9×9 inch / 24x24cm sheets, cut into 8 squares in total.
- Bacon: I recommend using streaky bacon for this recipe. Make sure the bacon rashers are thin and not too short as the bacon will shrink during baking.
- Cheese: Grated cheddar, gouda, or edam work well for this recipe.
It’s incredible how easy this delicious snack is to make. Simply crisp up the bacon in the oven for 5 minutes. Cut the puff pastry into squares, add bacon and cheese, turn over the ends and wash with egg yolk. Bake and cool. That’s it!
These tasty turnovers are perfect for picnics, a buffet, last-minute entrée, or appetizer. They also make a delicious after-school snack and are a great addition to lunch boxes.
How long do the turnovers last?
You can store the turnovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Simply reheat them slightly before serving.
Can you freeze bacon and cheese turnovers?
Once baked, you can freeze the turnovers for up to 3 months in an airtight container. Simply reheat them straight from the freezer at 390F/200C.
Sign-up to my newsletter for more easy recipes.
Cheese and Bacon Turnovers
- 2 puff pastry sheets 9×9 inch / 24x24cm, ready-rolled
- 8 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 390F/200C fan bake.
- Cover a baking tray with parchment paper and add the bacon rashers. Bake them in the oven for 5 minutes. Grate the cheese.8 rashers streaky bacon
- Once thawed, cut the puff pastry sheets into 8 squares (approx. 5×5 inch / 12×12 cm.2 puff pastry sheets
- Place one bacon rasher and some grated cheese in the middle of each pastry square (diagonally).1 cup cheddar cheese, 8 rashers streaky bacon
- Turn over the two opposite corners and press them together so they don't come apart during baking.
- Brush the top of the turnovers with egg yolk. Bake them on a lower rack for 15-20 minutes until puffy and golden.1 egg yolk
- Let them cool before serving. Enjoy!