This easy, nut-free muesli slice recipe only takes 25 minutes to make. It is a delicious snack including oats, raisins, and seeds. Cut into handy slices or bars, they are perfect for lunch boxes, picnics, and as an on-the-go snack.
- Butter: You can use salted butter for this recipe if that’s what you have on hand. Simply omit the salt.
- Sugar: I love the rich flavor and colour of brown sugar gives this muesli slice but it also works with castor or granulated sugar.
- Honey: Honey provides flavor and extra sweetness for this recipe and helps bind the ingredients together. I use runny clover honey but you choose whatever flavour honey you prefer.
- Oats: Rolled, quick, and scotch oats work well for this recipe.
- Flour & baking powder: I use all-purpose flour to help bind all ingredients together and the baking powder ensures the slice or bars won’t be too dense.
- Eggs: Again, eggs will help bind all dry ingredients.
- Vanilla & cinnamon: I love the cookie dough flavors this combination brings but you can also omit these.
- Dried fruit: You can easily substitute the raisins with sultanas or other dried fruit of your choice to match your taste. Chopped apricots, dates, and currants are good alternatives.
- Seeds: As long as the overall seed volume remains the same you can substitute them with seeds of your choice except for chia seeds as they will absorb too much liquid.
- Nuts: You can easily replace all or some of the seeds with finely chopped nuts. Almonds, cashews, and macadamia work well.
Make sure to melt the butter to ensure the sugar and honey fully dissolve. After that combine the wet and dry ingredients roughly prior to mixing them together. Lastly add the whisked eggs and thoroughly combine all ingredients. Press the mixture firmly into a lined slice tin (20×20 cm) and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
Once fully cooled, you can drizzle the slice with some melted chocolate if you are after some extra sweetness. Simply slice it into squares or bars with a sharp knife once fully cooled down and enjoy.
Can you freeze muesli slice?
Yes, you can pop this muesli slice in a freezer-proof container for up to 3 months. I suggest cutting it into squares or bars prior so you can thaw individual servings by defrosting them for 4 hours at room temperature.
The muesli bars also store well in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 4 days.
For more easy from scratch recipes, make sure to sign-up for my newsletter.